Tuesday, June 10, 2008

...

Sadly I'm back from the beach. There is talk of returning for our anniversary this year, since we know that it's off season and it's like a ghost town there (and much cheaper!).

I never want to come home from the beach. I could seriously live near the water and be perfectly happy.

I do my best contemplating while at the beach. There's something about that wonderful ocean air, and the sound of the waves that gets my brain going.

I was able to read 2.5 books while at the beach. I read "Little Altars Everywhere", the book before "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sitsterhood". I liked it, but "Divine Secrets" is SO much better. I also finally read "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath. I dig. I may pick up some of her poetry now.

I don't know why they make you read poetry and such while in high school now a days. They expect so little from students now, it's unfair to assume their mental capabilities are the same as students 30 years ago. Yes they require more subject matter, but they aren't teaching people to think about what they're doing - really think about it. Since they aren't equipped to take in great works or literature, it seems unfair to force it upon them, these young adults that are still treated as children, and expect profound answers. I think it's created a culture of students who don't like to read - not because they don't really like to read, but because they're forced to read things that they aren't fully ready to understand. I doubt I would have understood "The Bell Jar" properly when 15 years old. Yes, it's great literature, but how much great literature can a 15 year old really appreciate?

While at the beach, I acquired a newfound appreciation for my husband, and the relationship that we have. Our interactions, conversations, and the way we're wonderful friends is so much more than I could have ever really hoped for out of marriage. After 7 days with him non-stop, I didn't want to leave to go to work that morning after we returned. I am so fortunate to have found him so early in life.

No comments: