Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bummer!

For the past month or so, I switched back to using Bare Minerals makeup because I do love the simplicity and the feel of the makeup. I even spent half of my spending money allowance on a new foundation because what I already had was expired.

In the past month, my face has suffered a severe series of breakouts. I found out today that one of the only 5 ingredients in Bare Minerals foundation, the one that gives skin a healthy glow, is a known skin irritant. Bismuth Oxycloride is a known skin irritant and a by-product of the lead refining process, known to cause irritation and breakouts!

One of the other ingredients in Mica. Mica also gives skin that "glow", but it's known to irritate acne! Gah! I thought mineral makeup was going to be good for my acne! Booo!

The zinc oxide in the foundation, the physical sunscreen, is a skin calming ingredient and skin protectan. It's the same ingredient in Gold Bond, most diaper rash creams, sunscreens, and also calamine lotion. Apparently it's calming properties can't make up for the irritating properties of the foundation ingredients! I'm so sad, because i love the stuff, I just don't love the massive amounts of breakouts I've had since I began using it again.

Boo hiss on Bare Minerals! I know there are a lot of people who love bare minerals, and who don't have any problems with it at all. For that I'm happy - I'm glad it works for someone! Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Anyone want what I have left?

1 comment:

Holly said...

I want what you have left!!!
...pick me, pick me!!!

shoot...I'll pay you half of retail for it.